9/22/2015 - Ordinance No. 15-10801 University District Sign Regulations
ORDINANCE NUMBER 15-10801
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING SECTION 42-518 OF THE SALINA CODE PERTAINING TO SIGN REGULATIONS FOR USES LOCATED IN THE UNIVERSITY ZONING DISTRICT AND REPEALING EXISTING SECTION 42-518.
Section 1. Amendment. That Section 42-518 of the Salina Code is amended as follows:
Sec. 42-518. U University district.
The following sign regulations shall apply in the university district:
(1) Functional types permitted:
a. Bulletin board signs;
b. Construction signs;
c. Identification signs;
d. Nameplate signs.
(2) Functional types conditional:
a. Advertising signs facing outward on the rear side of a scoreboard structure.
(3) Structural types permitted:
a. Ground signs;
b. Pole signs;
c. Scoreboard mounted signs;
d. Wall signs.
(4) Structural types conditional:
a. Signs mounted on the rear side of a scoreboard structure with a gross surface area and sign height in excess of the maximum size and height specified in subsections (6) and (7) and/or with a setback that is less than the minimum setback in subsection (8).
(5) Number of signs permitted: no limitation except as specified in subsection (4).
(6) Maximum gross surface area:
a. One (1) square foot for each six (6) lineal feet of building frontage except as noted in b. below.
b. Outdoor football/soccer stadiums shall be permitted no more than two (2) signs not to exceed one hundred sixty (160) square feet each. These signs shall be located within fifty (50) feet of the outdoor stadium and separated by a minimum of fifty (50) feet.
(7) Maximum height: No height limit is specified for signs placed flat against a building, painted on the wall of a building or designed as a part of an architectural feature thereof. Detached signs shall not exceed ten (10) feet in height.
(8) Required setback:
a. All signs of thirty-two (32) square feet or less shall maintain a minimum setback of ten (10) feet.
b. All signs larger than thirty-two (32) square feet in area shall maintain the required setback for principal structures in the "U" university district.
(9) Illumination: No signs shall be illuminated, except the following:
a. Identification signs and bulletin board signs may be internally or externally illuminated, provided that no direct light shall be cast upon any residential property.
b. Electronic Changeable Copy Signs not associated with advertising signs facing outward on the rear side of scoreboard structures subject to the following limitations:
1. All electronic message center signs must be equipped with a photo cell dimmer or some other automatic dimmer control and may not operate between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., except when a scheduled public event extends beyond 10:00 p.m., the sign may operate no later than 30 minutes after the conclusion of the event.
2. No minimum hold time or interval of change shall be required.
3. Text and moving pictorial images shall be permitted, however, no sign shall have blinking, flashing or fluttering lights or any other illuminating device that changes intensity, brightness or color of the sign background.
4. The electronic message center portion of the sign shall not exceed fifty (50%) of the total sign area.
5. The sign shall not exceed a height of ten (10) feet.
6. Educational institutions may have a maximum of one (1) freestanding electronic changeable copy identification or bulletin board sign for the institution and one (1) freestanding electronic changeable copy identification or bulletin board sign for an associated athletic stadium.
c. Electronic changeable copy signs associated with advertising signs facing outward on the rear side of the scoreboard structure provided that:
1. An electronic changeable copy sign Conditional Use Permit must first be approved by the Planning Commission.
2. The sign shall be subject to the area, sign height limitations and setback requirements established under Section 42-518(4)a.
Section 2. Repealer. That existing Section 42-518 is hereby repealed.
Section 3. Summary of ordinance for publication. This ordinance shall be published by the following summary:
Ordinance No. 15-10801 Summary
On September 21, 2015, the City of Salina, Kansas, passed Ordinance No. 15-10801. The ordinance amends existing Section 42-518 of the Salina Code to allow internally illuminated and electronic changeable copy signs/message center signs in the U (University) district. A complete copy of the ordinance is available at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the city clerk, 300 W. Ash Street, free of charge. This summary is certified by the city attorney.
Section 4. Effective Date. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication by summary once in the official city newspaper.
Introduced: September 14, 2015
Passed: September 21, 2015
Jon R. Blanchard, Mayor
Shandi Wicks, CMC, City Clerk
Certification of Publication Summary:
Greg A. Bengtson, City Attorney